March 14, 2007
- Mutton Birds Anchor me, greenpeace 20th anniversary in 2005 edition.
A broken winch on the Japanese whaling mothership stranded in the Ross Sea has ended this year's whaling season, according to Greenpeace.
The whaling ship Nisshin Maru, which used the winch to haul the animals' carcasses on board for processing, remains stranded in the after last week's onboard blaze.
Karli Thomas, a campaigner aboard the Greenpeace vessel Esperanza, said the environmental organisation's offer to tow the ship out of the pristine Antarctic sea remained open.
The Nisshin Maru is rafted up between two other ships from the whaling fleet, the tanker Oriental Bluebird and the smaller whaler, Yushin Maru.
The Nisshin Maru sent out a distress call from the Ross Sea early on Thursday last week after a fire erupted below deck.
The fire killed crew member Kazutaka Makita, 27, damaged the vessel's wiring and raised fears of oil spilling from the vessel, wreaking environmental havoc.
Maritime authorities in New Zealand have urged the Japanese to accept a tow so the ship at least can be moved north and away from Antarctica.
That way, they say if it founders and leaks the 1000 tonnes of fuel oil, heavy chemicals and pollutants on board, the chances of a huge environmental disaster will be reduced.
They have urged the Japanese to accept an offer of a tow from their long term adversaries, Greenpeace.
Since the fire, some electrical power has been restored and a three-degree list, caused by the water used to fight the fire, has been corrected using portable pumps from other whaling ships.
The Japanese skipper had told authorities he would rather stay where he was where the weather was calm instead of being towed north into worse weather.
However, Peter Williams, Maritime New Zealand's deputy director of safety and response systems, said yesterday towing the ship north was the best option.
He also said towing was an art and while at least one of the Japanese ships, the Oriental Bluebird, should be equipped to tow, it was not the most suitable towing ship in the area.
Spokesman for the whalers, Glen Inwood, disputed Greenpeace's claims about the winch.
"It is certainly not in anyone's interest to give any information, or correct information, to Greenpeace. They are not a signatory to anything down there. Maybe the skipper was just having a laugh," he told Radio New Zealand.
The ship's wiring had been replaced, the gauges had been tested and safety checks were being carried out.
Though the ship was not yet moving, the engines were going, Mr Inwood said.
The decision would be made today on whether the hunt would continue or the fleet would return to Japan, he said.
The main concern was whether the processing deck was able to be used again, following extensive damage during the fire. There was a legal requirement for all whales caught for scientific purposes to be processed, Mr Inwood said.
Most of the meat already processed and packed into the freezers was still frozen, though some must have been damaged in the fire, he said.
Source NZ herald - there are many environmental issue stories/themes well covered by this press.
I came, I saw, I commented!
Veni, vidi, vici.
I came, I saw, I conquered.
Caesar, 47 B.C
Shop Perfume Emporium and save up to 70% off on over 7,000 designer fragrances.
- 2007 America's Cup - Valencia, Spain The 32nd Amer...
- Cancer and diet Step 1: Understanding the relation...
- Whaling, Greenpeace
- Google --libraries--copyright
- Dear All,Greetings and an update;I have updated my...
- New Zealand Climatological InformationOn-line reso...
- Re: Libraries with BlogsIn December 2006 I read an...
- ▼ March (7)
- ► 2008 (42)
- ► 2009 (16)
Blog roll - Getting ready to "shake and bake", RECIPES
- Radio New Zealand recipes - You can listen online to the National Programme, Concert Programme, International news, book reviews etc. I like listening to the National Radio Lectures, Documentaries and Forums - Brainstorm etc
- Radio stations to listen to in a civil emergency - from Get Through website
- Cuisine Magazine, website
- Annabel Langbein - (new zealander) a dinner for romance, food for eight mates, changing monthly menus
- NZ womans weekly/food
- Frugal Cuisine blog from Pepper in China
- Pigtitsandparsleysauce.co.nz - weekly budget $100. How to make your own shampoo etc
- Healthy Eating (help for food intolerances)
- Rachaelray (Recipes based usa) southamerican etc
- Cambodian food blog
- How to cook like an Italian
- CEO of Twitter, great networking source
- Public domain blog
- Google blog
- Google New Zealand blog
- Storiesforspeakers blog
- Storiesforspeakers blog 2
- Storiesforspeakers blog 3
- Storiesforspeakers blog 4
- TED Blog
- CT - story about recovery from sf
- Nat lib blog, nzpoetlaureate
- New Zealand Electronic Text Centre Blog
- HDL Readers
- Graduate Forum New Zealand blog
- NZ National Library tech blog
- Hdc landmarks history group blog
- Hastings Library news update blog
- East-in-sig blog
- Dunedin public Libraries news and reviews
- Library blog
- The Written Nerd
- Kaupapamaori link from core education, dereks blog
- Web Graphics How To Blog/Design-Web 2.0
- Interesting blogger from china, it, keyword rank, comment on current events
- Language courses, fees, victoria uni
JOB SEARCH and SCHOLARSHIPS/FUNDING
- What leading job site seek has to say about salaries
- Living wage in New Zealand
- New Zealand job search sites
- Lianza - jobs
- Fencepost /nz farm
- creative sector jobs (museums)
- careers.govt.nz - sign in for content
- Work and Income NZ - search for a job
- Entry Requirements for jobs in New Zealand
- careers.govt.nz/create a cv/resume using CV4U or search cv in search box to get further cv templates you can download in word.
- Careers.govt.nz/who_earns_what_ in _ New Zealand
- Trademe jobs Salary-guide by industry
- careerhub, massey
- seasonal work
- Statisphere - appendices, list of topics
- Statistics New Zealand (Search new free database Infoshare updated daily). Create Tables to see trends over time using Table Builder and Infoshare (Census Data and Key Summary data). Great freephone help. Download tables to excel. You can also upload. See release calandar, Stats in Demand, Technical notes, quick links. Can help with knowing your market.
- NZlive.com = funding
- New Zealand Universities (8).
- scholarships world.org
- wordpress - start putting your ideas down, use for communicating your value and IT competence
Please click to view this guest book widget, (added August 2007)
Please don't hestitate to contact me using the anti spam safe means of contact below.
Ask a question here.